Baker & Taylor Publishing Group publishes books under three imprints: Silver Dolphin Books, Thunder Bay Press, and Portable Press. Founded about twenty years ago, Baker & Taylor Publishing Group has a growing list of published titles and now has a backlist of more than 500 books. Baker & Taylor books are sold in the United States and throughout the world.
Thunder Bay Press, Baker & Taylor's first imprint, published its first title in 1990. Silver Dolphin Books quickly followed. Finally, in 2000, Baker & Taylor purchased the best-selling Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series and created Portable Press as an imprint to house this list. Baker & Taylor Publishing Group is the umbrella organization under which all three imprints operate.
Silver Dolphin Books
Silver Dolphin Books publishes activity, novelty, and educational nonfiction books for preschoolers to 12-year-olds. Highly interactive formats such as the Field Guides and Uncover series both educate and entertain older children. The lovable characters of the Maurice Pledger series and the boldly illustrated Snappy Sounds series appeal to both young children and parents alike.
See videos below of some of our newest releases.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you are interested in submitting your work, please read the guidelines below and email us at
- We will consider submissions only from authors with previously published works.
- We do not publish any fiction or poetry.
- All juvenile submissions must contain accompanying artwork or a plan for an illustration program. No picture books.
- We accept very few unsolicited manuscripts, so please take the time to review our list before making your submission.
A proposal should include:
- Cover letter describing the project and what is included in the package.
- Full proposal, including outline, introduction, illustrations list, sample captions, and text/sample chapters (approximately 30 pages of text). If you are submitting a cookbook proposal, include a list of recipes plus at least ten sample recipes in addition to the information described above.
- Photocopies of sample illustrations or photographs (do not send originals). And please, always keep a copy of your project; we are not responsible for any submitted materials, including dummies, prototypes, slides, etc.
- A short list of comparable titles, with an explanation of how your book differs from each.
- Author/illustrator/photographer biography, including publishing credits and credentials in the field.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the material. If desired, include a self-addressed, stamped blank postcard for acknowledgment of receipt of manuscript. Do not send checks or cash in lieu of postage; only US postage or International Postage Coupon will be accepted.
We do not accept manuscripts that are handwritten or submitted on computer disk. Please only send Electronic submissions can be sent to this email address.
Please keep a copy of the manuscript for your files. Because of the volume of manuscripts we receive each day, submissions are virtually impossible to track, and it may take up to 3 months before we reach a decision.
When submitting your work to any publishing house, it is always a good idea to check your local bookstore or library to get a sense of what kinds of books the company publishes.
Please submit only your strongest work. As to subject matter, illustrations that feature children or animals are always welcome, but feel free to submit other subjects as well. It is also a good idea to look at Silver Dolphin books in your local bookstore or library to get a sense of what kinds of books we publish.